The dissertation is one of the lengthiest tasks in the students’ academic life. Especially since the arrival of semester systems, no tasks prolong more than 4 to 6 months. In many universities, the final semester exam does not include mid-term syllabus. This act decreases the long term academic stress from the students. But, in research degrees, there is no way to shorten the dissertation writing. Hence, it is dissertation writing becomes the toughest task for the majority and it is important to know the principles of primary research for it.
One of the important steps in dissertation writing is the use of relevant data i.e., Primary and Secondary data. If you have selected primary data for your dissertation then you must follow certain ethics and principles of primary research. This article lists down the most important and easy to follow ethical principles that can solve the problem of using primary data in the research. But first, let’s talk about what actually primary data is:
Primary research is an authentic way to get first-hand information. It will solve any problem of your choice. It is named primary as here the researcher himself gather the raw data from the expected sources. The direct interaction of the researchers with the data sources imparts confidence, reliability and accuracy. In this method, the researchers don’t’ need to rely on the existing information. They can explore ways, sources, and facts based on observation, experiment, interview, survey and case study.
Despite this, secondary research has its list of benefits for dissertation writing tasks. In some contexts, secondary research benefits over the primary study, and the reverse is also possible. But, the crux of good research is to design the method by considering the pros and cons of both researchers. The wise selection of research methods will save the young researchers from challenges.
Principles of Primary Research:
In general, there are five principles of ethics rules. They may help the researchers make their research path trouble less. These principles of primary research are available and applicable to all.
1. Write down the intellectual property.
This principle of primary research deals with disagreement issues. The disagreement issues often arise in the group studies. Among disagreements, the core reason for disputes includes authorship. So, the best way to cater this problem is to decide in the beginning that who will get the credit for the work. This decision before starting the research work will resolve major primary research issues.
Be aware of multiple roles.
APA’s Ethics code explains that researchers should avoid relationships in research. Especially, the relationships that could harm or affect their performance. But, many times the multiple relationships may not prove unethical. Hence, the knowledge about the relationship between co-workers is also a primary research rule.
Follow the informed consent rules.
Another most important principle in primary research is informed consent. When performed properly, informed consent proves that all participants of the primary research are voluntarily participating. More, it ensures that all the participants are well aware of all benefits and risks. Hence, informed consent is the basic principle of primary research. All researchers opting for primary research must follow it. However, there are some more points to follow as described here
- Tell participants about the nature of the study.
- Tell them whether they will get any benefits.
- Warn them about the potential harms of the studies
Priorities participant’s confidentiality and privacy
Ethics in Research with Human Participants described the privacy or confidentiality issues in detail. At this point, the principles of primary research demand to tell the participants that how their data will be protected. It means researchers gather all necessary information about the federal or state laws about data protection. It demands to take all possible data protection measures. Apart from all these, the researchers should also consider the internet limitations for better data protection.
Follow the ethical code of conduct.
Principles of primary research ethical considerations explain that you must know about the two things. The first one is an ethical obligation, while the other one is the availability of resources. Knowing the ethical research obligations will save you from all major academic disasters. Likewise, designing a research based on the available resources will save researchers from end-stage issues.
Advantages of primary research:
Further, if you have decided to sort a scientific problem. If you selected the primary method for gathering information. Then the following advantages will tell what benefits you may get:
- Primary researches help scientist to target a specific issue.
- The chances of biasness, irrelevancy or inaccuracy are less in this type of research.
- The primary researchers are more efficient in outlier handling.
- The researchers have high-level control over the data they collected on their own.
- If the primary data is qualitative, then the thematic, conceptual analysis or other qualitative analysis methods become easier to perform. It takes less time for the analysis portion of the dissertation.
- If the primary data is in quantitative form. Then the selection of statistical analysis tools becomes easier.
- If the problems you want to solve reflect a current social or behavioural issue. Then the up-to-date data collection matters a lot. Currently, the most suitable method for gathering the up-to-date is primary research.
Disadvantages of primary research:
In a discussion about research methods, it’s better to talk about the dark sides as well. It will help the scientist in the research mapping procedure.
- No doubt, in social sciences, the use of primary research methods has no parallel. But, young scientists often get afraid. The reason is primary research method imparts funding challenges. Such challenges are difficult to sort at once. The students often refuse to choose this method as some have convincing issues. Likewise, some are afraid of public dealing in interviews.
- Funding is not the only hindrance in the path of primary research design. Time constraint is also a considerable disadvantage of this type of research. The experimental designing, the observation, and questionaries’ structuring are also present in the list of challenges of primary research.
- Primary research containing surveys or interviews invites geographical limitations as well. Hence, such studies often have country-specific data. These primary research ethics and principles are very important to follow. If you failed to follow the ethics, the dissertation committee may disqualify your or cancel your degree. If you have decide to opt for primary research then you must not take any of these ethical considerations lightly.